Overflows, Ruptures & Leaks

  • In case of overflow, rupture, leak, or sewer backup, call CityLink 311 or 336-727-8000.
  • Utilities Field Operations staff will be dispatched to determine the problem.
  • Winston-Salem/Forsyth County Utilities is responsible for breaks in water and wastewater mains in the street. The business or property owner is responsible for breaks on private property.
  • A sanitary sewer overflow will cause sewage to flow out of a manhole or sewer connection into the street or a yard. A sewer backup causes sewage to backup into a home or business.
  • See information on plumber and property owner responsibilities and our Good Neighbor Policy at cityofws.org/gnp.

Learn more about our Can the Grease program to help reduce the potential for sewage back-ups in your home or business.

Can the Grease 2019