Cash Release

Recovering Cash Evidence

We do not store cash money; it is deposited into the bank. When it is approved by the case officer for release, the owner is sent a letter notifying them of the availability of the money. Once the owner contacts Evidence Management personnel to claim that money, the process of obtaining the paper check can take 2 to 3 weeks. Cash releases are in the form of a City of Winston-Salem paper check and require advance coordination for disbursement.

When the owner fails to claim their money, it is transferred to the North Carolina State Treasurer's Office Unclaimed Property Fund for disbursement to the owner. Owners seeking to claim cash from the State Treasurer's Office should utilize their website and conduct a free database search to begin the claim process.

To confirm an appointment with Evidence Management staff, please call 336-726-7285. The owner should bring photo identification to:
1200 N Patterson Avenue
Winston-Salem, NC 27101

Our office is open Wednesday through Thursday, 11 a.m. to 4 p.m., excluding holidays.