Permits for Work Within the Right-of-Way

In order to ensure public safety and mobility, permits are required to operate in the City’s ROW. Through permitting, we ensure that all construction activities are well coordinated and impacts are mitigated to reduce public inconvenience, guarantee proper street and sidewalk repair and ensure all regulations are enforced appropriately. More than one permit may be required depending on the proposed work to be performed. A brief description of each permit and when they are applicable is provided below. Please select the applicable link(s) provided for further information regarding submittal requirements.

Utility Excavations

Utility excavation permits are required for any excavation within NCDOT or City maintained right-of-way inside the City limits of Winston-Salem. Utility excavation permits are also required when work is being performed on City property or within a City owned easement outside the right-of-way on private property.

Street and Sidewalk Cuts

A permit is required any time a sidewalk or City of Winston-Salem street is cut.

Street and Sidewalk Closures

Contractors who need to close a roadway, lane of a roadway, or a sidewalk must obtain a permit. The permit application should be submitted well in advance of the work schedule. Additional information including the Temporary Right-of-Way Closure Application is available at the following web address:

Temporary Right-of-Way Closure Application

Encroachments for Aboveground Installations

New or expanded above-ground utility facilities (other than poles and facilities located on poles) such as pedestals, terminals, cross boxes, interfaces, remote terminals, and other items of industry standard nomenclature ("above-ground structure") that are part of a utility's distribution system (i.e., does not include facilities or devices that primarily serve individual properties) may be located in the right-of-way only upon issuance of an encroachment which may require Council approval. Above-ground structures shall not interfere with the operation and maintenance of existing utilities, facilities, roadways or walkways within the public right-of-way.