How does my organization become tax exempt?

Once you file your articles of incorporation, your organization becomes a nonprofit. To receive tax-exemption status, your organization must meet three key components under 501(c) (3) of the IRS regulations: be organized as a corporation, trust, or unincorporated association (articles serves this purpose); be operated with stipulations (such as agreeing to refrain from participation in political campaigns); and have an exempt purpose: charitable, educational, religious, or scientific. Contact the IRS for more details and instructions. The City of Winston-Salem does not assist organizations is preparing/filing the proper paperwork.

Show All Answers

1. How do people find out whether there is a neighborhood association in their area?
2. How do I start a neighborhood association?
3. How do we determine our neighborhood boundaries?
4. What if the boundaries of my neighborhood association overlap the boundaries of another?
5. Does the City of Winston-Salem have requirements on the formal structure or operations of neighborhood associations?
6. What are some key organizational questions?
7. What is the difference between a neighborhood association and homeowner association?
8. What are the benefits of an organization having a tax-exempt status?
9. How does my organization become tax exempt?