What is in our tap water that causes a pink film?

A pink or black film on fixtures may be caused by an airborne fungus called Aspergillus sp. that is commonly found in bathrooms and kitchens. The fungus reproduces by spreading spores via air that land on moist surfaces, which are ideal conditions for its growth. A cleaning solution of one part bleach to five parts water, or commercial products containing bleach are effective to kill the fungus and remove most stains.

Learn more on our Black Mold Fact Sheet (PDF) & Pink Stuff Fact Sheet (PDF).

Show All Answers

1. Why is my water bill higher than last year at this time?
2. What is the Readiness-to-Serve Charge and why does the charge depend on the size of my water meter?
3. Where is my water meter located?
4. Why was I charged a Service Initiation Fee?
5. I have a question about underground utilities. How do a make this request?
6. What is in our tap water that causes a pink film?
7. What causes the "earthy taste" that sometimes affects our water?
8. How do I request that my water to be tested?
9. How do I report what appears to be a sewage-related odor?
10. I received a kit at my home urging me to test my water. Was this sent by Winston-Salem/Forsyth County Utilities?